editing disabled

Health BPM "Field Guide"


Sponsored by an open community initiative under the auspices of the Object Management Group, this effort aims to create a Health BPM Modeling "Field Guide", providing an approach to conducting process modeling to allow for the expression and portability of health related workflows. While predominantly focused on clinical workflow, the Guide does contain within scope workflows for non-clinical situations as well.

The primary objective is to create a reference document that can be given to process modelers, such as those that might work within a healthcare delivery organization, providing insight, guidance, and best practices to help make their modeling activities not only more effective, but also portable. The expectation is that process models that comply with the guide will have the ability to be exported/imported and shared among healthcare organizations.


Teleconferences/Webmeeting (Weekly, Tuesdays at 3:00p EST/UTC-5):


Frequency: Weekly
Day: Tuesdays, 3:00pm [EDT/UTC-5]

Dial-in Number (United States): (712) 451-0511
Access Code: 854795
International Dial-in Numbers: https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/hssp_project#international

Online Meeting Link: https://join.freeconferencecall.com/hssp_project
Online Meeting ID: hssp_project

Project Plan :



Integrated Drafts

Revision Date
Version
Release Notes
Document Attachment
09/18/17
Beta














Schedule of up coming meetings

Topic
Presenter(s)
Date
Attachments for Review
Scope & Reference Examples and Patterns
Ken Rubin & Jane Shellum
4/18/17

Producing Models & Consuming Models
Sean Muir & Peter Haug
4/25/17

Evaluation and Assessment & Sustainment
Wendy Ryan & Ken Rubin
5/2/17





Introduction & Appendices
Keith Salzman & Ken Lord
5/9/17

Scope & Reference Examples and Patterns
Ken Rubin & Jane Shellum
5/16/17

Producing Models & Consuming Models
Sean Muir & Peter Haug
5/23/17

Evaluation and Assessment & Sustainment
Wendy Ryan & Ken Rubin
5/30/17





Introduction & Appendices
Keith Salzman & Ken Lord
6/6/17

Scope & Reference Examples and Patterns
Ken Rubin & Jane Shellum
6/13/17

Producing Models & Consuming Models
Sean Muir & Peter Haug
6/20/17

Evaluation and Assessment & Sustainment
Wendy Ryan & Ken Rubin
6/27/17





Use Case Review

7/11/17

Preparation for BPM Health Day in New Orleans; Detail agenda planning
Ken's R & L
9/5/17



Subsection Drafts

Subsection
Subsection Coordinator
Release Notes/Highlights
Document Attachment
1. Introduction
Keith Salzman


2. Scope
Ken Rubin


3. Reference Examples and Patterns
Jane Shellum


4. Producing Models
Sean Muir
- Relate to and apply patterns from Section 3
- Capture context (preconditions, assumptions)
- Define compliance criteria
- Reference other industry examples and leverage their guidance
- Indicate consumption maturity of the model (manual, semi-automated, automated)

5. Consuming Models
Peter Haug


6. Evaluation and Assessment Criteria
Wendy Ryan


7. Sustainment and Governance
Ken Rubin

Current Draft:



Past Draft:

8. Appendices
Ken Lord




Agendas and Minutes


Date
Agenda/Minutes
2017-07-26
Attendees include Mr. Ken Rubin, Mr. Robert Lario, Dr. John Butler, Dr. Stephen White, Mr. Ken Lord, Ms. Jane Shellum, and Mr.Sean Muir, Dr. Peter Haug, and Mr. Adam Clark. Robert asked the group to review the consolidated field guide on the wikispace and make comments. Ken several recommendations for cleaning up the document. Need introduction section to be more focused. Need better transitions between the different sections. Consuming/producing models need to be before patterns section. Producing section is 1 meta level too high. Why well covered, now need to get the language down for the user know the how. Example used was How do I check my work to make sure I am in compliance. Discussed automated versus manual process. 1Aug meeting cancelled due to HSPC attendance.
2017-07-11
27June and 4July meetings were cancelled.

Attendees include Mr. Ken Rubin, Mr. Robert Lario, Mr. Davide Sottera, Dr. Stephen White, Mr. Ken Lord, Ms. Jane Shellum, Dr. Peter Haug, Mr. Lloyd Dugan, Mr. Sean Muir, and Mr. Adam Clark. Team discussed how to best combine the various subsections of the document to level language, style, some content, and monitor version control. Mr. Lario owns the master and will take first cut at figuring out how to meld and possibly identify gaps. He will provide a concatenated raw document to the group to begin to review in its entirety. There is an identified gap in symbology which Dr. White agreed to provide input to help fill.
2017-06-20
Attendees include Mr. Ken Rubin, Mr. Robert Lario, Dr. Keith Butler, Mr. Davide Sottera, Dr. Stephen White, Mr. Ken Lord, Ms. Jane Shellum, and Mr.Sean Muir, and Mr. Adam Clark. Ken made recommendation of shifting style of meeting to become a working session. Sustainment sub-section meeting Thursday 22Jun at 3pm EST. Changing terminology of ‘focused pathway’ to ‘care process’. Concern that we are traversing metalevel and types. Need to stay away from qualities of goodness. Is the model shareable/sufficient/repeatable. Not looking to get to optimal yet. Refocus on giving guidelines that a modeler can use this document and if they comply the product produced is portable.
2017-06-13
Attendees include Mr. Robert Lario, Dr. Keith Butler, Mr. Lloyd Dugan, Dr. Stephen White, Mr. Ken Lord, Ms. Jane Shellum, and Dr. Keith Salzman, and Mr. Adam Clark. Dr. Butler presented from Notes on Special Needs for Information Modeling in Clinical Workflows posted on the BPMN pilot wikispace. Ms. Shellum thought this discussion would be extremely helpful for the Patterns group. Ms. Shellum presented Common Patterns work done in conjunction with Dr. Haug. A generic pattern model was presented with a template of Simple Scoring Algorithm. Plan is to use specific clinical examples to support the generic pattern model.
2017-06-05
Attendees include Mr. Robert Lario, Mr. Sean Muir, Dr. Keith Butler, Mr. Lloyd Dugan, Dr. Stephen White, Mr. Ken Lord, Ms. Jane Shellum, and Mr. Adam Clark. Mr. Lord presented glossary concept. He asked that as the community comes up with terminology there is no need to wait for consolidating a list, but to send them to him as 1s and 2s Two objectives for the introduction are for use by health care professionals and style guide for implementer of the KNARTs being developed in the BPM pilot group. This field guide is not technical deep dive. Leverage the cultural aspects of the community to develop customizable health care documents. Will reach out to Denis Gagne for terminology clarification
2017-05-30
Attendees include Mr. Robert Lario, Mr. Ken Rubin, Mr. Sean Muir, Dr. Keith Salzman, Mr. Preston Lee, Dr. Stephen White, Dr. Peter Haug, Mr. Ken Lord, Ms. Jane Shellum, and Mr. Adam Clark. Mr. Lario presented the glide path project plan. Prepared to change topic presentations if certain sections mature faster than others. Mr. Rubin gave guidance on presenting a fairly comprehensive draft by first week of August. Additionally the field guide is a high level construct to help educate and define roles and responsibilities. Due outs include develop a style guide and template for the draft and populate a calendar that shows when sub-section meetings are taking place in an easy glance for both the field guide and the pilot. Mr. Rubin went onto present the Sustainment and Governance section. Feel that it needs collaborative work. Mr. Rubin also presented the website HingX as a candidate of an associative tool that might help reinforce the guide.
2017-05-23
Attendees include Mr. Robert Lario, Mr. Sean Muir, Dr. Keith Salzman, Dr. Christian Contreras, Dr. Douglas Trauner, and Mr. Adam Clark. Mr. Muir presented Patterns section. Talked about producing models and aspects of the field guide to produce sharable clinical pathways. Examples will be included. Looked at design patterns and language of patterns. Discussed pathway definitions and parameters like no dead ends. Discussed how to make the patterns usable and used object oriented thought process because it feels like it fits. Concerned about the patterns being brittle so need to be open enough for use, like saying apply cold to affected area versus saying put ice on the left ankle.
2017-05-16
Attendees include Mr. Robert Lario, Mr. Ken Rubin, Mr. Sean Muir, Dr. Keith Salzman, Dr. Steve Hasley, Mr. Adam Clark., Dr. Peter Haug, and Dr. Stephen White. Scope section will be ready for peer review within two weeks prior to next. Dr. Haug presented business process management common patterns. Expected to see 8-15 recurring patterns. Examples include threshold, scoring, decision requirements matrix with a design table pattern for assessment. Recommend no more then 15-20 patterns. Use case tie in would be helpful. Need to get a project runway produced to ensure the September suspense is met
2017-05-09
Attendees include Mr. Robert Lario, Mr. Sean Muir, Dr. Keith Salzman, Mr. Adam Clark., Mr Denis Gagne, Dr. Stephen White, and Dr Steve Hasley. Discussion was short because most of the regular attendees were at the Madrid HL7 conference. Team quickly looked at Dr Salzman's updated introduction and agreed that a request for input would be send to the list serve members to help with content. Suspense for feedback was set for 19May2017.
2017-05-02
Cancelled
2017-4-25
- Relate to and apply patterns from Section 3
- Capture context (preconditions, assumptions)
- Define compliance criteria
- Reference other industry examples and leverage their guidance
- Indicate consumption maturity of the model (manual, semi-automated, automated)
2017-04-18
Attendees included: Ms. Jane Shellum, Dr. Peter Haug, Dr. Keith Salzman, Dr. Davida Sottara, Mr. Ken Lord, Mr. Sean Muir, Mr. Stephen White, and Mr Robert Lario as the BPM overall lead. Discussion included:
Mr. Lario will set up and coordinate BPM schedule and wikispaces administration. The main sub-section "Scope" was discussed for domain coverage, audience, content coverage, and defining what success looks like. The sub-section "Reference Examples and Patterns" covered looking at languages and best practices to identify patterns and anti-patterns. Will look through known repositories for language and metadata and adopt, name, and categorize. May create a small library of reference tools to support pattern choice. Will proffer candidate patterns. Hypothesis for starting points would still need validation. Want to look across multiple CPMs, regardless of domain, for common characteristics or values. Two examples being pursued are suicide prevention and a normal nine month maternity which may be further expanded for deviance needs if time allows.
2017-04-11
Begin Rotating Focus Review Sessions on document sections. This week: Discussion included assign each sub-section an individual wikispaces page, a review of the scope and problem statement as part of the introduction, and the proposed appendices. Mr. Rubin provided the guidance that the team should not feel constrained by what happened at the Reston Virginia workshop. Groups should do what makes sense and if questions mark it for the next session or add to the working group que for an answer. Mr. Rubin also wants each sub-section lead to forward assumptions they made to Mr. Lord who will be the keeper and not have to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure them out for the entire field guide.

- Introduction
- Glossaries/Reference Materials
2017-04-04
Reviewed outbrief notes; affirmed the subgroup direction.
Discussed the section ownership and go-forward plan. Each subgroup will be meeting periodically (roughly weekly, but it will vary by chapter), using the "all hands" call to cross-coordinate and get broader input. Each subgroup will announce meetings on the list so others with interest can attend.

Notes provided inline in attachment below.


2017-03-31
Outbrief Notes from Reston Workshop

2017-03-14
Finalize initial version of Field Guide Outline and key Approach activities;
Brainstorm in preparation for OMG BPM Workshop
2017-03-07
Continue work on project plan, specifically the working outline of the Field Guide, and the sequncing and identification of major activities to the work effort (project approach)


2017-02-28
- Brainstorm overall approach to Field Guide Project Plan
- Begin work on nominal document outline


2017-02-21
Call Cancelled - HIMSS
2017-02-14
Continue refinement of project charter. Focus on scope and objectives


2017-02-07
Community Workstream Launch:
- Review of December Workshop
- Presentation of outbrief minutes and action items
- Discussion of vision of the Field Guide

Note: Two versions of the slide deck are included. One is the "clean" copy that was discussed. The other contains annotations based upon the discussions on the call.